Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014


My New Benches!

I'm so excited about my new classroom benches.  My classroom used to be part of the school offices in a trailer add-on to the school.  It has ZERO storage.  The district gave me 2 metal closets and called it a day.  For the past two years I've been trying to come up with good storage solutions.   I was able to buy these expedit ikea shelves from a florist that was going out of business and it came with 4 of the wicker baskets! I then made the cushions on top and wrapped them in a heavy vinyl to keep them from getting stained and ruined. I purchased 6 canvas boxes from ikea for $6 each.  I am super proud of this storage solution!  It also helps for the times when I want my students to come over to the carpet area.  In 3rd grade some of the students are just too big to fit all of them on the rug, and unfortunately some of them are so out of shape, or some students have OT or PT issues and its really difficult for them to get up and down from the floor, so this is a great solution for bringing everyone to the carpet area comfortably.  I also found those storage cubes at my reading table on Overstock.com and decided to use them instead of the students dragging their chairs across the room. I feel like I ended the school year being excited to start the next one with my decor! 


2 comments:

  1. I love the benches you created! It gave me the perfect idea for my room :). Do the shelves you used have backs on them or can the bins be pulled out on either side? What did you use to make the stuffing part of the cushion? Thanks so much for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these benches and how you recycled them from the shelves! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete